Powers of SCIS
The State Commission on Information Security is the government authority, which conducts the classified information protection policy of the Republic of Bulgaria. The basic aspects of the SCIS activities are related to the organization, coordination and control over the classified information protection.
In order to implement these duties the SCIS performs the following tasks:
• Provides general direction of the activities relating to the background vetting of the persons who require to operate with classified information and relating to the issuance of the appropriate levels of clearances for access to classified information;
• Provides general direction of the activities relating to the background vetting of natural or legal persons proposing to enter or performing a contract which involves access to classified information;
• Jointly with the security services conducts background vetting of, and subject to the advice of such services, issues clearance to persons nominated for appointment as information security officers;
• Issues certificates confirming before such foreign authorities as it may concern that Bulgarian natural or legal persons have been issued clearance or certificate, as the case may be;
• Jointly with the security services, conducts background vetting of Bulgarian citizens who apply for a position or for the performance of a special assignment which require such citizens to operate with the classified information of another state or an international organization;
• Maintains single registers of clearances, certificates, certifying or confirming documents issued, revoked or terminated, and of refusal to issue or terminate such papers, and a register of materials and documents which contain classified information, such information being a state or an official secret;
• Organizes and coordinates the training for operation with classified information;
• Provides methodological guidance to information security officers;
• Exercises general control over the protection of classified information as is stored, processed or transmitted by automated information systems or networks;
• Develops guidelines and approves action plans for organizational units in the event of a threat to the state interests resulting from unauthorized access to classified information;
• Analyses and assesses the state of preparedness for the protection of classified information in the event of a threat to any interests protected by law resulting from unauthorized access to classified information and issues mandatory instructions in that area;
• Advises immediately the Prime Minister in the event of unauthorized access to information classified as TOP SECRET;
• Organizes and performs activities to prevent and mitigate the harmful consequences of unauthorized access to classified information;
• Drafts and introduces before the Council of Ministers for adoption statutory instruments relating to the classified information protection;
• Organizes, controls and is responsible for the performance of obligations relating to the protection of classified information as laid down in international treaties to which the Republic of Bulgaria is a party;
• Organizes and ensures the functioning of registries in the field of international relations;
• Issues visit permits to persons performing inspections in pursuance of international treaties relating to the mutual protection of classified information.
For the implementation of the above mentioned tasks the Commission works in close collaboration with the authorities of the Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and with the security and public order services.
For the purposes of performing its powers and activities the SCIS may require information from the information databases of the security and public order services, from government and local self-government authorities and from any natural and legal person in accordance with the existing legislation. The competence of the Commission to issue mandatory instructions to the persons responsible hereunder is of particular importance.